What is marijuana?
Medical marijuana is marijuana used to treat medical conditions. This is allowed by some states, but not the U.S. government. Recreational marijuana is marijuana used by a person to “get high” rather than treating a medical condition. Recreational marijuana is legal in some states.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA): Marijuana. National Institute of Drug Abuse. December 2019. https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana
- World Health Organization (WHO): Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Thirty-ninth Meeting, Agenda item 5.2. Geneva, 6-10. November 2017. https://www.who.int/medicines/access/controlled-substances/5.2_CBD.pdf
- De Aquino JP, et al. The Psychiatric Consequences of Cannabinoids. Clin Ther. 2019;40(9):1448-1456.
- Klumpers LE, Thacker DL. A Brief Background on Cannabis: From Plant to Medical Indications. J Aoac Int. 2019;102(2):412-420. DOI: 10.5740/jaoacint.18-0208. PubMed PMID: 30139415.
- The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: Committee’s Conclusions. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medicine. January 2017: https://www.nap.edu/resource/24625/Cannabis_committee_conclusions.pdf
- 2021 Marijuana Policy Reform Legislation. March 2021. https://www.mpp.org/assets/pdf/issues/legislation/key-marijuana-policy-reform.pdf
- American Psychiatric Association. Position Statement in Opposition to Cannabis as Medicine. July 2019” url: https://www.psychiatry.org/File%20Library/About-APA/Organization-Documents-Policies/Policies/Position-Cannabis-as-Medicine.pdf
- Hill, K., et. al. Risks and Benefits of Cannabis and Cannabinoids in Psychiatry. The American Journal of Psychiatry. https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.2021.21030320 . Published December 8, 2021.
- Fischer, B., et al. Lower-Risk Cannabis use Guidelines: A Comprehensive Update of Evidence and Recommendations. American Journal of Public Health. https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2017.303818 . Published July 12, 2017.
- State Medical Cannabis Laws. National Conference of State Legislatures. https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-medical- marijuana-laws.aspx . Published February 3, 2022.
- Position Statement in Opposition to Cannabis as Medicine. American Psychiatric Association. https://www.psychiatry.org . Published May 2019.