Most collaborative practice agreements (CPAs) focus on optimizing patient therapy through interdisciplinary care to provide peak service and improve quality of life and overall wellbeing. Note that individual State Boards of Pharmacy should be consulted to address specific legislative requirements associated with CPA development.
- Where can I find innovative CPA information and translational tools for implementing a CPA at my facility?1-5
- What are key themes for successful implementation of collaborative care?6
- Is there a CPA toolkit for pharmacists?7
- What are some examples of CPAs?8-9
- What are some examples of psychiatric pharmacist-led CPAs in the literature?10-12
- What is the scope of practice for pharmacists who practice within the Veterans Health Administration?13-14
- What are the state laws regarding CPAs?15
- What qualifies a pharmacist to practice under a CPA?16
Reviewer 1: Caitlin Christman, PharmD
Reviewer 2: Joseph M. Cusimano, PharmD, BCPP
2022-2023 AAPP Resident and New Practitioner Committee
- CDC. Advancing Team-Based Care Through Collaborative Practice Agreements (CPA). A Resource and Implementation Guide for Adding Pharmacists to the Care Team. [Weblink]
- APhA Foundation:CPA and Pharmacists’ Patient Care Services. [Weblink]
- Collaborative pharmacy practice: an update. IPRP. 2013;:1. DOI: 10.2147/IPRP.S33507..
- Collaborative Practice Agreements and Pharmacists’ Patient Care Services: A resource for doctors, nurses, physician assistants, and other. [Weblink]
- Pharmacy: Collaborative Practice Agreements to Enable Collaborative Drug Therapy Management. [Weblink]
- American Pharmacists Association Foundation and American Pharmacists Association. Consortium Recommendations for Advancing Pharmacists’ Patient Care Services and Collaborative Practice Agreements. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2013;53: e132-e141. [PubMed]
- National Alliance of State Pharmacy Associations (NASPA). Collaborative Practice Agreements: Resources and More. June 8, 2017. [Weblink]
- Collaborative Practice Agreement Sample: Montana Board of Pharmacy Regulations [Weblink]
- Collaborative Practice Agreement Sample: Version 2 [Weblink]
- Efficiencies and outcomes of depression treatment by a psychiatric pharmacist in a primary care clinic compared with treatment within a behavioral health clinic. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2020;60(5):S98- S106. DOI: 10.1016/j.japh.2020.05.015. PubMed PMID: 32665098..
- Development of an innovative adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder clinic. Ment Health Clin. 2020;10(5):296-300. DOI: 10.9740/mhc.2020.09.296. PubMed PMID: 33062556; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7534811..
- Improvement of Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Quality Reporting program measure: Screening for metabolic disorders through pharmacy collaborative practice agreement. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2021;61(5):e126- e131. DOI: 10.1016/j.japh.2021.04.010. PubMed PMID: 33931352..
- VHA Handbook 1108:11(1): Clinical Pharmacy Services. [Weblink]
- Review of Mental Health Clinical Pharmacists in Veterans Health Administration Facilities. [Weblink]
- Select Features of State Pharmacist Collaborative Practice Laws. [Weblink]
- Svingen C. Clinical pharmacist credentialing and privileging: a process for ensuring high-quality patient care. Fed Pract. 2019;36(4):155-157. [PubMed]